Editing Promotional Videos

I went After Effects mental...

I've been working on the latest promo for Knightvisions Productions and thought I'd summarise the two main development stages that made up this video. This video with it's inserts took about two days to produce (from scratch). This post is going to be more for the editors but hopefully you can enjoy the videos even if you are not in that way minded.

The Offline Edit
I actually edited this one on Adobe Premiere CC. I can edit more than proficiently on both Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer (and would usually use these instead) but the decision was made to use Premiere because of a few reasons mainly which were based on workflow...

Premiere conforms clips nicely when they are in different aspect ratios etc and it organises the bins well and labels clips automatically. You can also swap through dynamic link to Adobe After Effects which was my main intention on this occasion and as I expect I will need to make changes at any unknown date in the future, this kind of makes sense. The clips that I've used, well; some are old, some are new... some are high quality and some are standard... some are from archival copies of the productions that I've worked on and others are from new footage or project files.

With the intention of linking to After Effects I wanted to up the resolution of the videos prior to export, particularly necessary if they were in older formats or standard definition. The other editing systems I mentioned both up the resolution if you like but generally take a little longer if you're working between two edit suites and you've chosen your export project to be from After Effects. Unless you're not getting paid a crazy amount of money, your audience is for broadcast or you need to export to Resolve and online things that way, I'd advise it.

As I'm my own boss with this one, I weighed up the amount of time it would take to make the video to what I felt is an acceptable quality. I have other jobs to do that are less about self-promotion and more (directly) about keeping the work coming in. I only had two free days to be able to make this and so it was rushed a little bit (if I'm honest). These are the results of Day 1, I've got an archival copy of this which is over 20Gb and it works with the project files so if I ever choose to pick the video up, I can easily do so from this stage (which is just less than half way):



The Online Edit

The online process was in Adobe After Effects; a frustrating programme to use when you go as mental as I did with a high quantity of effects... Opacities, motions, reflections, fades, typography, multilayers of different framerates and resolutions, colour correction... it was a rendering nightmare and I began to regret choosing this as my workflow limiting the amount of rendering I was doing during the process.

Nonetheless After Effects rendered enough footage from the cache for me to be able to check my animated transitions. The annoying thing is that when you are rendering from cache, you are ultimately limited by your RAM and before we start flexing CPU's and processor power... I'll just say I was rendering about 15 layers, animations and effects in Full HD at, pretty much, all times -um yeah... this didn't leave a lot of room for error without having to wait for pre-renders every ten seconds. I even got to hear the fan protecting my CPU and this doesn't happen very often but I was pushing the limits due to my deadline of 2 days.

I finished the edit online process which took a bit longer than the offline process and after waiting a few hours for the export of a less than two minute video... this is the result. Personal critique is this is a 7/10 edit for me but I've been told my scoring system is brutal.
so...
Perfectionist + Extreme Rendering + Lots of ideas + Not much time =


If you would like me to edit your videos or have any other projects for me, please get in touch.

Comments