Observations of Cyprus

I have been regularly visiting Cyprus throughout my life. I have seen it go through a lot of changes from the country that I first saw at the end of the 80s. With the mind of a traveler not sure of where to be next, for some reason, and although not my intention, I keep returning to this oddly situated Mediterranean island on more occasions than not. On this occasion I returned to take up some media related work in the tourism sector involving film, photography and writing.

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Agia Napa In Winter
Life always changes throughout the world and this is something that, unless we are young and naïve, we gather the wisdom to notice. Many people think that they know Cyprus well yet observation has led me to believe that this is not very often the case. We can all find out without too much trouble how sunny it gets and that how diverse the wildlife is but in this blog I would like to mention a few things about the island that you don't usually get told on trip advisor and in the brochures. This will probably only be of help to the more travelled 'traveller'.  

Platres Stream
I may only write about my experiences with the perception of an Englishman brought up in a British system and I expect that others who visit will reflect upon their own experiences and may notice a different story altogether. From myself, however, I believe that Cyprus may be suffering from some sort of identity crisis – for a country that has experienced so many cultural changes throughout the years this is hardly surprising. As with any community or culture, there is always a different beat… even those from the North of England sing to a different tune than those from the South, and it is partly to do with these differences between communities and cultures that make the world so beautiful.

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Donkeys in Karpas
With the choice that I have to live in the UK, Cyprus or somewhere else, I would like to believe that I would always allow myself ‘somewhere else’ but if what I am searching for is a home then I must admit that I have always found this culture most welcoming. Maybe it is the sunshine, good food, the philosophy or something else that keeps me returning on so many occasions. I know it felt nice to be sitting on a beach the other day whilst editing some video as I had a wireless connection and some sunshine.

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Kakopetria
As I am over in Cyprus to continue my work in media, I can discuss how that now Cyprus is in the EU that many people like myself from other areas in Europe may work here under similar legislation and beurocracy as what we have become accustomed to. The ‘financial crisis’, although it exists on the island, has actually been blown considerably out of proportion by much of the mainstream media. Just like the media escalated ‘housing crisis’ that caused a real housing crisis in the UK (circa 2008), similar propaganda has lead to similar crises in Cyprus. I can apply my previous experience of working on the island to reflect upon the real crisis logically and without objection.

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Golden Beach
Living in Cyprus before the EU meant that it was essential for me to go through many immigration controls of which now can no longer be as strictly regulated. Other than the need for a Social Insurance number (National Insurance number equivalent), working in Cyprus (once you have found work) is only as difficult as it is in the UK. The prices are not extremely different when listed relative to income yet I have found that even now, there is a slightly higher disposable income available to those on the island when wanting to enjoy a similar lifestyle as most expats would. If ‘disposable income’ is not something that you are looking for then I should also point out that the lifestyle is considerably more relaxed than the forty-hour weeks given in the UK. Although that still defines a ‘full time job’, the actual density of stress given within those forty hours is substantially less. As with many of the Eastern Europeans coming to look for work in England and how very often they are exhausted towards their limit, the same happens in Cyprus and if you choose to follow such a path, where stricter legislation can still be found – not that I could personally understand why anyone would?
 
(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Kykkos Monastery
I have gathered lots of footage whilst here on the island but my video production company is still based in the United Kingdom; the actual payment that I will receive from such a job means that I have not earned as much as I would back in Lincolnshire, however, the money which I have had to spend whilst over here actually cuts these losses to make them insignificant. Also if I wanted to go on holiday to somewhere warm and sunny in my few weeks off every year, then at least I wouldn’t need to go very far or spend much more cash!
 
(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Kyrenia
Currently the Cyprus ideology of business means that an income of €25-30k is required to register as self-employment (unless you are a Cyprus national). This is a rule that has not been debated in much depth since Cyprus came into the EU as European legislation means that Cyprus should actually accept a diverse demography onto the island as any other place throughout the commonwealth (xenophobes take heed). Without re-registering my business under social insurance over here in Cyprus, I am under rules to return to a home in the UK within eight weeks (correct in 2013); this is a tax related regulation that exists because I am working under a National Insurance number (of course the technical summary would be far more complicated). Nonetheless, with reflecting upon the many negative issues that Cyprus has experienced since joining the EU, it may become a comfortable place for any citizen of the commonwealth to enjoy a life in the future. Retrospectively, the Euro has caused considerable financial damage to the island with many people reporting an overnight loss of around 30% however this damage has happened now and so it is also important to understand that if Cyprus were to leave the currency that the people would be unlikely to get this returned to them. There is much debate surrounding this matter but it should be noted that if the island does decide to opt out in the future, then it should be based upon other legislation and not necessarily the one that appears to be (but is not actually) the problem. There are also many non-Europeans taking up work and business on the island and although this opens other options towards financial liquidity, this is not the intention of this blog.
 
(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Turtle in Limassol
Regardless of the lifestyle that you can easily become a part of in Cyprus, there are a few of the things that I initially notice when returning to the UK. With the belief that home is where the heart is, Cyprus must now (after this many visits) be at least a nomination. I find that the education system in Cyprus is better, conversations are more reflective and entertainment is still generally less about depressing information and more about, well – entertainment.

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved. Please get permission via ash@knightvisionsproductions.com before use.
Limassol Sea Front Near Crowne Plaza (Holiday Inn)
The UK certainly trumps a few things on Cyprus that I notice as soon as I go back (home comforts); I find it great to catch up on good television, bad music and old friends when returning to England. Although I never miss the weather, many within the UK claim (although likely only for self-preservation) that they like to look out of the window in the morning and not be so certain that it will be sunny. Even on this cold, cloudy and miserable day in December, it is still more than 20˚C – and yes we are wearing coats! It will snow up in the mountains here is a few weeks time plus when it rains - it really rains.

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Mountain Roads in Alona (Troodos Pass)
To summarise, the video work that I am doing over here in Cyprus has made me realise that both this home and that home are experiencing hard times. The best way that I am finding to overcome this seems to be within my own perception and not necessarily because of external influences.

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Prodromos Forest Views
Please feel free to debate your viewpoints of this island – I’d be interested to see how other cultures feel when visiting and the reasons why. I could mention many other things about the island that you are likely to notice once you arrive; the good the bad and the ugly but feel that this summary shows some of the things that I have noticed primarily when needing to live on or work on an island that is very much governed by tourism (and the seasons). Cyprus is greatly affected by all of the cultures and it has a very cosmopolitan nature. Friends keep asking that I help them out as a travel agent and although not my day job, I am able to get by with enjoying this island as a place for holiday, home or work.  If you would like a particular style of break over here (North or South) and you think you are after advice or someone to help arrange that for you; feel free to get in touch (www.ashknight.co.uk) as I am sure that I can offer a sundry of suggestions – with videos and some more photos. This final photo was taken from an area where I have been filming for a Villa Retreat (hence the widescreen); I will show more coverage and details once editing has progressed!

(c) Ash Knight 2013 - All Rights Reserved
Germasogeia Dam

Comments