A Refused Outcome for my BBC Application

Back in April, I made my first (of what has now become a handful) of applications to the BBC. I am pleased to say that I was unsuccessful with this application. By being unsuccessful, and if I believe some of the stories in the mainstream media recently, I can honestly say I may have been one of the lucky ones. I hope that my hindsight (which I will explain further) can give others the encouragement and motivation to continue with their applications and endeavours and not to be immediately disheartened if an application is unsuccessful (either that or just a light hearted blog).

I make many applications for contracts as this is part of self-employment and there are numerous reasons why you might not get through. Sometimes it seems that even if you know the right things, unless you know the right people, get the perfect time and you can express things in such a way to have the best application amongst thousands: - that some things are just not meant to be. On this particular occasion I feel that I may have been unsuccessful because I used 'finger-smudging' on my application rather than finding an eraser. However, it turns out that there was more than a positive outcome to not being successful with this particular application which I made back in April 1992 whilst I was at primary school...

Sure enough when clearing out the attic the other week, I came across this particular application that I thought I should share. It's my very own letter to Jim'll Fix It. The whole Jimmy Savile debate is not one that I wish to entertain as I feel that, quite honestly, the whole topic has been exhausted. My point is that something good can come from anything even if it seemed bad at the time - of course I should note that it doesn't always work this way but, who knows, maybe someone from the BBC will read this blog one day and think that they have a perfect job for me.

The great thing about what I requested in my particular exercise book, Free Writing, is that although the producers for Jim'll Fix It were not interested;
  • they said 'It's not exciting enough'
  • they said 'It's not inspiring us'
  • they said 'The audience won't like it'
    (or maybe someone just didn't like my photo)


    - someone listened somewhere because...
Dear Jim, I am 9 years old and my name is Ashley Knight. I live in a pretty village called Moulton. I like this village but there is not very many pretty flowers and trees. Please could you fix it for me to be able to plant some pretty flowers and trees. Some of my favourite flowers are tulips, roses and daffodils. I would think a nice place would be to plant them down country lanes like Shivean Gate and Broad Lane. I would be very greatful  grateful if you could fix it for me. From Ashley Knight.
...within a few weeks; I was, sure enough, planting trees in the village along with my class mates. I can only expect that because I didn't ask for something like a trip to outer space that the BBC weren't too interested. I know that somewhere in what I had to say, someone before, maybe my lecturer, maybe a MP, someone on the way thought that this was a dream of a child that could be accomplished. To whoever that was at the time, I would like to thank them.

Sometimes these little differences make big differences and this small part of being in the community and being able to make a difference for people really helps me and inspires me today. I am happy that when I am in the village where I grew up that I walk past trees that were planted by myself and my class mates as it has kept the place a nice environment. I can only assume that it is with thanks to the local council at the time that it was allowed that such things could happen. Research of who gave planning permission for something back in 1992 is unfortunately not yet accessible on the great universe of Google. All I know is that someone who had a say at the time in the village allowed it to happen. The prices of houses in Moulton village are generally a little more than the other villages around the same area and who knows if it is because of these green spaces that it may make a difference. The village also has a mill and a church but it could have been the planting of seeds of our junior class back in 1992.

Either way, at least from this bad situation, something good came (and it wasn't Sir Savile). I think that this was a very valuable lesson in life.

I hope you enjoy the trees.

Moulton Village - Green Space



Comments