Ciampino, Italy.

I awake to the influx of cheap-airfair passengers rumbling into the airport nearby.  Although my plan was to rise with the sun, the sun protection factor of the curtains in our motel room is over effective and the morning seems to have escaped me. It certainly sounds like rush hour has begun and the next plan is to utilise the public transport here to locate to Rome. Due to the itinerary that I have scheduled, this will be Rome in a day or maybe a day and a half if I can convince myself to be more hasty in standing and waiting for a bus. The buses allegedly run every twenty minutes but I'm yet to find a utopian bus schedule anywhere in the world so my expectations to find one in the relaxed Mediterranean may be fruitless. I would possibly be more eager to stand and wait if the weather could make its mind up, one minute there is a downpour of heavy rain whereas the next is beautiful warm sun, the humidity doesn't seem to matter - this is the beginning of Italy's autumn and the temperatures are around thirty degrees and even when wet you don't feel cold. The evenings are comfortable and call me to the terrace to gaze thoughtfully out over this run down area. The area is full of grittiness and possibly only surviving on the travelers like me just wanting easy digs and to use the facilities as a stepping stone. The streets are full of rubbish and there is considerable graffiti. It seems that this is more representative of the conceptualism of the majority because there seems a minority here who are very economically accustomed. These contrasts of richness show up nearly everywhere here. The weather, the politics and the food. I'm not even sure how much I like the food but I think it's a lot. The flavours are very sweet or maybe very sharp or smooth but one thing is certain they are always 'very' something. It could be that I have ancestory from this part of the world or it could just be godfather like paranoia but it feels that something greater and more powerful is watching. I need to go and work out what it is but to summarise, Ciampino is one of the ugliest areas of the Mediterranean I am yet to visit but on the other hand the culture and society are so friendly that I couldn't actually care. Now for Rome in a day.

Comments